As care needs in the community increase and become more complex, caregiver training needs to keep up. Living Well has developed an Education Program for our staff that prepares them to give high quality, safe and client-centred care.
Caregiver Education & Development
As part of our commitment to promoting excellent care, Living Well Home Care offers educational in-services to its caregivers to help guide their decision making abilities, improve knowledge and upgrade skills. All of our caregivers are required and paid to attend three educational in-services each year. Educational program topics are chosen through survey feedback, our Community Needs Assessment and related health care developments. We also develop and offer elective in-services offered 2 or 3 times per year.
• Violence in the Workplace (Annual)
• Medication Course (Mandatory)
• Lifts & Transfers Training (Client Specific)
• Safe Food Handling / Hand Hygiene (Annual)
• Emergency Preparedness
• Dementia Care (Bi-annual)
• Falls Prevention(Annual)
• Skills Refresher (Bi-annual)
• Palliative Care
• 3D’s: Dementia, Depression & Delirium
• Sexuality & Limit Setting
• Compression Stockings/ TED Stockings
• Fire Safety
• Infection Control
• Healthy Boundaries & Self Care
• Oral Health of the Elderly
• Communication Skills for CHWs
Why is Our Commitment to Education so Important to You?
When Living Well introduced the annual Medication course several years ago, we experienced a 56% decrease in incidents within a few short months.
• New medications in the home
• Unfilled prescriptions
• Missing medications
• Documentation of medication