INDIVIDUAL GUIDANCE AND SUPPORTOur peer mentor program was implemented in 2008 to increase support and guidance for caregivers during their first 6 months of employment at Living Well. A peer mentor accompanies each caregiver on their first day of service and is available on an ongoing basis to answer questions and encourage the caregiver’s skill development. This program is unique to Living Well Home Care and highly regarded by Accreditation Canada.
WHY DO WE HAVE PEER MENTORS?
In order to consistently provide the best home care available, we have developed our Peer Mentor program which ensures that each of our caregivers are comfortable with their clients and their care plans. With many things to learn as a new employee, our caregivers appreciate having a “buddy” beside them on their first day at work.
The program is also available for caregivers who need a refresher on certain tasks or who need to learn about a new device. At Living Well, we accept it as our duty to educate staff on proper handling procedures so that our clients feel comfortable and safe under our care.
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
Each new caregiver completes 4 stages of the Peer Mentor program within their first 6 months of employment at Living Well:
- Shadow shift at first client visit
- 3 month review
- 6 month review
87% OF CAREGIVERS AT LIVING WELL
- agree that client safety is promoted, and safety improvements are encouraged
- enjoy their job and get a sense of satisfaction from their work
- agree that Living Well provides training and education that helps them look after their clients
- (potentially leave on “Our Successes” summary page)